This one-day course is for healthcare professionals who may have to act as the first responder in an emergency, giving them the skills to manage patients in cardiac arrest before a cardiac arrest team arrives.
The ILS course is suitable for doctors, medical students, nurses, nursing students, midwives, paramedics and student paramedics, physiotherapists, dentistry professionals and other health and care professionals. It may also be suitable for fire service technicians, police personnel and prison officers.
It is approved by Resuscitation Council UK, and recognised by the European Resuscitation Council and the Australian Resuscitation Council, giving you the freedom to use your lifesaving skills in other countries.
Aim of this course
The ILS course was developed by Resuscitation Council UK for healthcare professionals who may have to act as the first responder in an emergency, giving them the skills to manage patients in cardiac arrest before a cardiac arrest team arrives.
An ILS course provides a variety of skills, from managing a deteriorating patient, identifying causes and treating cardiac arrest, to improving abilities as both a team member and leader.
ILS is the most popular Resuscitation Council UK approved course, and around 100,000 people are trained in ILS every year.
ILS certification is recognised across the UK, the EU and Australia.
During the one-day course, you will develop the skills to:
- Recognise and treat the deteriorating patient using the ABCDE approach;
- Identify the causes and promote the prevention of cardiopulmonary arrest;
- Undertake the skills of quality CPR and defibrillation (manual and /or AED) and simple airway manoeuvres;
- Utilise non-technical skills to facilitate team leadership and effective team membership.
Summary of syllabus
This is a one-day course and will take place in our in-house Training Centre, and delivered by members of our dedicated and highly skilled instructor team.
Candidates receive their ILS manual two weeks before the start of the course. Candidates are expected to have prepared for the course by reading the manual.
This course consists of lectures, skill stations and cardiac arrest simulations, including :-
- Causes and prevention of cardiorespiratory arrest
- Cardiac Arrest Simulation
- ALS Algorithm
- Skill Station 1: The ABCDE approach
- Skill Station 2: Initial resuscitation and defibrillation
- Skill Station 3: Airway and breathing
- Skill Station 4: Cardiac Arrest Simulation.